Thursday, October 25, 2007

They Came For Me & It Was Too Late

Ms. Ann Coulter's "Have You Hugged And Islamo-Fascist Today" (October 24, 2007; Published by Townhall.com) adapted (Please see below) a poem originally written by Germany's Pastor Martin Niemoller, an early supporter of Hitler, latter opponent and survivor of Nazi death camps. She wrongfully appears to assume that her readers know the source of that poem and its historic context--For which she should get a journalistic slap on the wrist as most Americans, even her readers, do not "know history".

However, putting that reprimand aside there are those (ie Christians under attack by both Islam and secularists; Defenders of the Constitutional right of individuals to keep-and-bear-arm; Academics and others who refuse to accept the "that is beyond debate" judgments of censors and persecutors) who should always keep the lessons of that poem and of history in mind as they face and battle those who would suppress others---In preparation of suppressing them.




I could almost imagine a poem:
First they came for Rush Limbaugh, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't Rush Limbaugh;
And then they came for Ann Coulter, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't Ann Coulter;
And then they came for David Horowitz, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't David Horowitz;
And then ... they came for me ... And by that time there was no one left to speak up.
by Ann Coulter---After The Poem Cited Below

First They Came for the Jews
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Pastor Martin Niemöller

No comments: