Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I'm Fine---An Ode To Aging

My mother, who passed away last Saturday at Age-98 and with an active mind to the end, sometimes let her quirky sense of humor show. She gave the below to my wife who was working at a home for the aged at the time. You might know someone who would appreciate it.

I'M FINE

There's nothing whatever the matter with me.
I'm just as healthy as I can be
I have arthritis in both my knees
And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze.

My pulse is weak and my blood is thin,
But, I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in
I think my liver is out of whack
And a terrible pain is in my back.

My hearing is poor, my sight is dim,
Most everything seems to be out of trim
But, I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

I have arch supports for both my feet
Or I wouldn't be able to go on the street.
Sleeplessness I have night after night
And in the morning I'm such a sight.

My memory is failing, my head's in a spin,
I'm peacefully living on aspirin
But, I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

The moral is,as this tale we unfold,
That for you and me who are getting old,
It's better to say, "I'm fine", with a grin,
Than to let them know the shape we're in.

by Richard Cardinal Cushing

No comments: