If you are under the illusion that our national government is incapable of tyranny, you might consider:
1. The forced and racist removal of the Cherokee from their lands by such a dictator as President Jackson;
2. The imprisonment and other persecution of those opposed to World War-I by Democrat President Wilson;
3. The racist and forced internment of loyal Americans of Japanese ancestry by Democrat President F. D. Roosevelt;
4. The murder of an unarmed woman, holding her infant child, at Ruby Ridge (Under President G. W; H. Bush who may or may-not known of the irregular "rules of engagement of the FBI for that incident, being a "kill first and ask questions later operation);
5. The mass murder of unarmed women and children at the Branch Davidian compound under the administration of Democrat William Clinton; And,
6. The ongoing violations of our democratically passed laws by Democrat B. H. Obama, some of which violations have caused many deaths in the USA and Mexico (eg "Fast & Furious").
You might also note that Mexico has extreme anti-gun laws but has a tyrannical and corrupt government as allows drug cartels to be better armed than some nations. Mexico is certainly a place where: "When guns are outlawed only the police/military and other criminals have guns". ====================================================================
Guns & President Jefferson
Much, too much, has been made of the PRIVATE letter of Thomas Jefferson as to the "wall between church and state". Perhaps all should not the following, OTHER, quotes from that founder's statements.
"No free man shall ever be debarred
the use of arms."
"The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government."
"The tree of liberty must be
refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants."