Saturday, November 04, 2006

Forgiving My Enemies

As a Catholic-Christian I am required to forgive my enemies (70 X 7 Times).

HOWEVER, I see no reason to hold myself to a higher standard for such forgiveness than that held by my Church---Which requires confession-of-fault, contrition and an honest expression of intent to not sin again before forgiveness is allowed. (Penance, including restitution, may be needed to complete the process.)

THEREFORE, the person who continues to offend against me and will not confess that as a fault/sin and refuses to show contrition or intent to stop offending against me (And, mine ***)will NOT receive my forgiveness.

PERHAPS, the classic example of such, over the last 1400-years, is the position of orthodox Islam which will NOT acknowledge the faults of its members who use murder, rape, genocide, robbery, perpetual war against Non-Muslims, revenge and the other horrors taught by Mohammed to further the cause of that criminal ideology.


*** "Mine" = My family, friends, neighbors, fellow citizens and all who support humane and civilized behaviors and cultures.

No comments: